Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Bullet for the Mullet

On a recent shopping trip I came very close to a species I thought was extinct. I saw with my own two eyes an adult male sporting a mullet. But the devotion to this way of life did not end there. He used his mullet as a shield to protect himself from those who want to pretend to be him. (Makes me feel weird just thinking about that.) The password for one of his computer log-ins is ‘mullet’.

I’m not making this up. I overheard him on the phone telling someone his username and password. He chuckled and beamed when he said the password was easy-mullet.

We all know that passwords should not be something easy to guess-our dates of birth or our pet’s name. But I have never been told that passwords shouldn’t be odes to hairdos of yester year. And, I don’t know how he spelled mullet. Spelling it incorrectly might be another roadblock he created to fool any bad guys. For that, I will have to give him points for abiding by the password-creation rules. But I will have to take away an equal amount of points because he so eagerly gave up his password to whoever was on the phone and those within ear shot of the call.

In the end I think he will lose to a poacher who adds his name to the history books as the reason the mullet was moved from the endangered species list onto the extinct species list.

No comments: